Friday, August 22, 2014

Bit-like Coconut Curry

I was going to call this "Corn & Kale Curry" but I decided "Bit-like Coconut Curry" sounded far more appealing - especially to those who are not kale lovers in our home! It has all the flavour of a curry made with rich coconut milk, yet substantially less fat.
Thankfully it went down a real treat - even none kale-loving members went back for seconds!!! I hope you enjoy it just as much as they did.




BIT-LIKE COCONUT CURRY
(Serves 4)
You'll need:
400g corn cobs (about 3 cobs) - kernels removed
1 bunch kale - finely chopped
500g pumpkin - about 1/4 medium sized one
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 1/2 cups soymilk
1 1/2 teaspoon coconut essense
1 Tablespoon curry powder of choice
1 teaspoon dessicated coconut (optional)

Chop all the veggies.
Saute the onion & garlic with a bit of water until lightly browned.
Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. 
Reduce heat & simmer for 20 minutes until pumpkin is soft.
Using the back of a spoon gently press the pumpkin pieces so they begin to fall apart. Stir dish well so everything is well distributed.

Serve over rice or potatoes.

 

5 comments:

  1. I was wondering what was in the curry with that name but I quite like Corn and Kale so to call it Corn and Kale Curry doesn't put me off - however I do like a quirky name - have never heard of coconut essence in a curry but would love to taste this and find out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the coconut essence is combined with the milk it makes a flavour of coconut milk and that is why I use it :-)

      Delete
  2. LOVING the ingredient combo in this! It really reminds me I MUST get some sweet corn before it's out of season again locally, too! Eeeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love kale and it works so well in curries.

    ReplyDelete