Wednesday, April 30, 2014

WIAW - Last day of April

Can you believe it's the last day of April already?
Where on earth has this year gone???
Here's what I ate today:
Breakfast was a bowl of granola - This week I made a batch using this recipe from PlantPlate
Lunch was my fairly regularly eaten hummus pizza.

And dinner was this absolutely delicious & super easy


Lentil & Green Vegetable Dish
(Makes 6 servings)
You'll need:
1 cup green lentils
2 bay leaves
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 zucchinis, chopped
1 green capsicum, chopped
1 400g can tomatoes
2 cups stock1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs

Put the lentils in a pot with 2 cups water and the bay leaves, bring to the boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
Drain and rinse.
In a large frying pan water saute the onions til soft and then add the crushed garlic cloves.
Stir in the other chopped vegetables and saute til slightly tender. 
Add the tomatoes, lentils, stock, tomato paste & herbs. Stir until well combined.Cover and let cook for 10 minutes until all is warmed through.
Remove bay leaves prior to serving.
Serve over a wholegrain of choice.
  Shown here served with a 1/2 fresh corn cob and farro.


This was the first time I have ever cooked farro. 
It was very chewy and I'm not sure if that is how it is or if I had just undercooked it - I'm about to go and research to find out!

Question of the day:
Have you tried any new grains lately?

4 comments:

  1. ha - I had to check the date when you said it was the end of April - the lentil dish looks great but I haven't tried farro ...yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yep this year must be going quickly for others then too! :-)

      Delete
  2. I don't know where the time has gone either! And now it's already the 3rd May! I love the sound of your eats and am also yet to try farro, but can believe it may be chewy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May makes it feel like the year is half over :-/
      I definitely enjoyed the 'taste' of farro - but the texture was off putting. But I will try it again and cook it longer to see how I go next time! Let me know if you try it! :-)

      Delete