Friday, November 22, 2013

Veggie & Rice Bake with Cauli-Sauce Topping

This bake has a lot of layers & takes a bit of time, but its not at all hard.
In fact once the layers are put together it simply bakes in the oven.

We have had this many times and its always a winner. I love how big the meal is so that makes plenty of leftovers!
Its incredibly tasty & although it's just 'one' dish, it really is a complete meal by itself.
I especially love the cauli-sauce topping because I can't get my husband to eat cauliflower unless its hidden like this!!!! ;-)

VEGGIE & RICE BAKE WITH CAULI-SAUCE TOPPING

Makes one large baking tray - Serves 6-8
You'll need:
Bottom layer: 

2-3 cups cooked brown rice
1 can lentils, salt free
1 onion
1 cup mushrooms
1 can tomatoes

1/2 green capsicum
1 can corn
1 carrot

Cauli sauce:
1/2 head of cauliflower
2 Tablespoons tahini
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoons minced garlic

Black pepper

Spread the pre-cooked brown rice into the bottom of a large baking dish.
Drain the lentils and spread the evenly over the rice, followed by the chopped onion & the chopped mushrooms. (Mushrooms shown only on one side of the bake here to keep hubby happy!)
Pour the canned tomatoes over the onions and mushrooms. Spread so evenly distributed.

 

I find the putting the tomato in the middle helps to keep the bake moist while its cooking instead of just on the top.







Chop the carrot & capsicum. Spread them over the tomatoes along with the drained corn.
To make the cauli-sauce:
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend til smooth and thick.
 












Pour the sauce over the bake and spread til all the veggies are completely covered.

 Sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper.
Bake in a preheated 200C oven for  45-60 minutes. The vegetables will be tender but not completely soft after 45 minutes, they will be soft by 60 minutes - so the choice is yours! Please note, these times are for my oven and ovens can vary! Baking for 60 minutes will definitely brown your cauli-sauce but not to the point of being burnt. If you are worried about the browning you can cover the dish with foil.
Shown here baked for 1 hour.
So I must admit that this is not the 'prettiest' food to photograph! The pictures don't do it justice of how yummy it is! 
Definitely a home-style meal & not for photographic purposes!!!!




Submitted for Healthy Vegan Friday.
You can add your recipe at these blogs:
carrie on vegan

16 comments:

  1. Wow, what a graet use of cauliflower sauce! I think this is a form where I'd embrace it as it doesn't seem to be trying to be 'cheese' in a traditional sense - it looks like a far more enjoyable topping than cheese to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was def trying to NOT make it cheese! and I agree - way better :-)

      Delete
  2. This looks like a wonderful dish for my family! Thanks for posting. I think I'll call it Shepherd's Pie, though, so I don't scare them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe anything to keep their interest I say ;-)

      Delete
  3. I love these sort of layer casseroles - so the cauliflower is raw in the sauce and cooks when you cook the bake in the oven? (BTW I made your peanut butter scones with cashew butter and loved them and finally posted them - thanks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the cauliflower is just blended raw. Makes it so easy :-)

      Delete
  4. Whoa, whoa, whoa, I disagree with you - your dish looks beautiful in that photo! That sounds amazing. I think I also like cauliflower more than anyone else in my home, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you eve made a cauliflower pizza base? I think I might give one a go. I found a great recipe on the blog "Not quite Nigella" and it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and zucchini base too! love adding extra veggies to a meal in a tricky way like that :-)

      Delete
  6. Mmm..I've never thought of using cauliflower as a sauce..it looks sooooo tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works really well :-) I'm going to try and add it to lots of other food too now!

      Delete
  7. It looks awesome! What is capsicum and where do you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in America its called "pepper" - perhaps also called that in the UK. Get it from regular grocery stores and fruit & veg shops :-)

      Delete