Saturday, September 21, 2013

Apple, Fig & Walnut Strudel

 
I did promise the occasional treat, and again I'm resorting to filo pastry :-)
But yes, I have added some tweaks to my version of strudel to make it healthier. 
Instead of spreading the pastry with butter & breadcrumbs to create layers I have used soy milk & oat bran, and I haven't sprinkled it with sugar either!
And just for the record --> No, I will never be bothered to make my own filo pastry ;-)

APPLE, FIG & WALNUT STRUDEL

You'll need:
2 green apples
4 dried figs
1 orange
1/4 cup walnuts

1/4 cup oat bran
2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon

soy milk - roughly 1/4 cup
6-8 sheets filo pastry

Core the apples and slice into thin pieces. Dice the dried figs. Juice the orange and remove half the zest. Combine all of these in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. 
Crush the walnuts into little pieces and stir into the apple mixture.
 
While the apples are cooking, prepare the pastry sheets.
In a small bowl mix together the oat bran, flax seeds and cinnamon. (This will be used in place of breadcrumbs in tradition recipes to create the layers between the pastry.)
Lay 2 sheets of pastry on a flat surface and brush with soy milk. Lightly sprinkle the pastry with a layer of the oat bran/flax mixture.
Repeat this layering process until you are down to the last sheet of pastry - if you're pressed for time you can add 2 sheets at a time.
*Do not spread the top layer of pastry with the milk and oat bran.* 

On the top layer spread the apple mixture in a log shape towards the end, but leaving the edges bare to be tucked in.

Roll the pastry up, folding tightly and tucking the side edges in.
















Brush the top of the strudel with soy milk & sprinkle with another layer of the oat bran/flax mixture.
Bake in a preheated 200C oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and crispy.

4 comments:

  1. I made spinach and feta pie tonight and really wanted to use filo pastry - I went to Coles and Woolies but sadly they didn't have any :(( Instead I used puff pastry (also one I wouldn't make myself) and it worked just as well.

    Your strudel looks very nice:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! That is soooo disappointing! Glad it worked with puff anyway :-)

      Delete
  2. sounds delicious and it looks like it browned up quite nicely with the soy milk glaze - sometimes I find that soy milk doesn't glaze much but perhaps it depends on the brand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be a brand thing. I mostly use green vitasoy and don't have a trouble with baked goods browning :-) Though i must admit when i use home-made soy it doesn't work quite as well.

      Delete