Wednesday, August 7, 2013

WIAW - Choc-Hazel-Goji Granola


Welcome to WIAW

I haven't done a Wednesday post for some time, so enjoy today's one!
It comes with a super yummy breakfast recipe.

Today's eats:
Breakfast was the totally delicious granola recipe below - sure beats nutella on toast!
Lunch I made a quick salad with cooked wholemeal pasta, salad leaf mix, grated carrot, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped capsicum and spring onions - topped off with a big dollop of hummus. Quick, easy, delicious :-)
Dinner was roasted sweet potato with a mexican bean mix with capsicum, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, borolotti beans and mushrooms.

Now for the promised recipe:

Chocolate Hazelnut Goji-berry Granola
You'll need:
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup pepitas
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup goji berries
1/4 cup raisins

Smash the hazelnuts by placing them in a zip-lock bag and beating with a meat-mallet until broken into little pieces.
In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, smashed hazelnuts, pepitas, cocoa powder & coconut. Stir well.
Pour in the apple sauce and brown rice syrup.
Stir until well combined & all the oats have been coated with the moist ingredients. It will look like it won't all combine but keep stirring and it eventually does.
Pour mixture onto a lined baking tray and spread evenly and as thin as possible.
Place in a preheated 160C oven.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
Remove tray from the oven & allow to cool.
Stir in the goji berries & raisins until evenly distributed.
Pour into an airtight container for storage.

Here's a picture-tip for how to easily transfer the granola into the storage container:
Because sometimes in life we need all the tips we can get right!!! ;-)


Here's another one then...... don't start nibbling on this before putting it in the container - its soooo good that you won't have much left to transfer otherwise!!!


12 comments:

  1. Your dinner- roasted sweet potato with mexican beans & mushrooms sounds pretty tasty! Have you tried the Japanese sweet potatoes, roasted? They are soooooo gooooood! I love your step-by-step photos for making the granola! I need to make them in advance for my long international flights to Spain :( I am flying to Spain, then to Argentina. >___<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your flights go smoothly!
      I haven't ever heard of Japanese sweet potatoes - I'll have to look into it! :-)

      Delete
  2. This granola looks GREAT! I've been looking for a good one that was oil free - and, well, you can't go wrong with chocolate : )

    I'm going to archive this one in my "to-try" file!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love oil-free cooking :-) Hope you enjoy it when you try :-)

      Delete
  3. This granola really does sound excellent! Thanks Sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Granola looks wicked!!! They only change I would make is the hazelnuts as they aren't a favourite of mine - so yummy. It would make your milk go brown like coco pops!! I might have to make it for summer (I'm eating porridge at the moment).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other nuts would definitely work equally as well - just less of a nutella flavour then!!!
      yes it definitely took me back to child-hood eating this lol - just a much more healthy version ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love the fact that you've made this granola oil-free. I wouldn't feel guilty at all about grabbing a handful... or two or three ;)
    Bookmarking this and will definitely be trying it once I'm back from my break x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for oil-free cooking :-)
      Hope you enjoy it - let me know how you go :-)

      Delete
  6. This sounds amazing!!! I need to make cereal nowww. Chocolate breakfast at Claire's house! Wheeeee :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so addicted to home-made cereal! I swear its the best! :-) And who doesn't want chocolate for breakfast ;-) xxx

      Delete