Saturday, February 2, 2013

Gingered Date Banana Loaf

Making this cake somehow reminded me of being pregnant!!!!
Don't laugh - its true :-p
Ginger seemed to settle my churning tummy & I craved bananas soooooo much! I wish I had of thought of making this at the time!

This is so light & fluffy & deliciously tasty. I don't think the rest will last long ;-)
I would like to apologise in advance for the amount of bowls you will need to make this - hopefully you have a dishwasher! But if you don't- trust me when I say its well worth it!!!!

You'll need:
1 cup dried dates
1 cup boiling water

1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 overripe banana
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place the dates into a bowl that has a lid. Pour the boiling water over the dates & allow to stand covered for at least 10 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl combine the wholemeal flour, brown sugar, ground ginger, baking powder & soda together. Stir until well combined.

Peel and mash the banana into a small mixing bowl. Add the apple sauce & the vanilla.
Drain the date water into the mash banana mixture. Mix well.
Mash the dates with a fork - they will be very soft after soaking.

Pour the banana/date water mixture into a well made in the centre of the flour/sugar mixture. 
Spoon in the mashed dates.
Stir until everything is well combined & dates are evenly distributed.
Pour batter into lined loaf tin. Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 40 minutes.

Allow to cool before slicing.

Optional:

Sweet & Sour Spread/Icing
1/2 cup tofutti cream cheese
juice of half small lemon
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar


Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
(This will be easier if the cream cheese has been left out of the fridge for about an hour first.)

Spoon over the cake as icing, or serve on the side to be a spread. For decorative purpose be sure to sprinkle the top with grated lemon rind.


If you're not a fan of banana bread - you can always convert this tasty cake into a gingered date loaf by replacing the mashed banana with 1/2 cup silken tofu instead.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely! I'm a ginger and banana fan so I'm sold, add in the lemon cream and I'm in heaven! Loving your progress photos too :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) The lemon cream truly added a touch that was amazing I must admit!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this looks delicious!! I love dates and bananas and I'd probably sub in some cinnamon for the ginger. The loaf looks so moist and fluffy and delicious. What a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like it would be worth the washing up - and as I have a dishwasher, even more so ;) Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for dishwashers - it was top of my list when we were house-hunting!!!!

      Delete
  4. This sounds so delicious! I hope my bananas ripen up quick because I'm dying to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this bread gets most of the sweetness from fruit, especially dates which I love! Wonderful recipe, I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very welcome :-)
      I'm a big date lover!!!
      I hope you enjoy it if you try.

      Delete