Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Borlotti balls

Here's a great alternative to meatballs. I see no reason not to add extra veggies to any meal!!!
In a small bowl mash 1 can drained borlotti beans.
Finely grate in 1 zuchhini and 1 carrot.
Add 2 Tablespoons tomato paste and 1 teaspoon italian herbs.
Mix well.
Roll mixture into balls.
Place on a lined baking sheet and bake in a 180C oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown.
To make a basic sauce:
Finely chop 1 onion. Place in a sauce pan and add 2 crushed garlic cloves. Lightly dry-fry until you hear the onion sizzle. Add 1 cup passata tomato cooking sauce & 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves.
Stir until bubbling. Approx 5 mins.

Serve balls and sauce over pasta. 
Shown here with spelt spaghetti.

8 comments:

  1. Yum, I like how they go crisp around the edges:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm these are totally my thing. Maybe if I didn't tell the hubs what was in them?... Great idea Sandy, they look wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my rule of thumb - don't reveal any ingredients and they love it ;-)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the look of these! What a great idea :) It's never occurred to me to make balls out of these ingredients but it would be a fantastic change for serving things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are borlotti beans? I've never heard of them. Where do you get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borlotti beans are specked red & white colours.
      I can get them at our health food store in a can just like other beans, sometimes from a regular grocery store too :-)

      Delete