Sunday, January 27, 2013

Apple Sponge Cake

Everyone loves apple sponge cake right?!? 
This is a light and fluffy cake with delicious soft apple pieces on top 
- that's fat free! :-)
So enjoy...

You'll need:
1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/3 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup ricemilk (or other plant milk of choice)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup pie apples
2 teaspoons cinnamon

In a measuring jug combine the milk & vinegar. Allow to sit for 5 mins.
Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder & sugar in a large bowl. Mix well.

Make a well in the middle of the flour & add the milk mixture, apple sauce and vanilla. Fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. 

Put the pie apples into a small mixing bowl. Chop any large pieces into small pieces. Stir in the cinnamon and mix well. 

Line a 20cm round baking tin with baking paper. 
Pour the cake mixture into the base. Top with the apple mixture focusing on the middle of the cake as shown:
Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 45 mins or until cooked through when poked with a skewer.
Cool in tin for 10 minutes before serving.


Note: You can reduce the sugar if using sweetened applesauce.

8 comments:

  1. Apple cake is a family tradition in my husband's family. I've never liked it, which is a SHOCKER considering my love of cake. I just might need to give your take a whirl. It might satisfy all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe this was made for my husband because its his favourite too!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely delicious :-) I think apple baked goods are my favourite by far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds AMAZING!! I love apple cakes and yours looks really lovely and fluffy. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing :))) would be lovely with custard for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love apple cake and your fat-free version looks so delicious! Definitely bookmarking this one! :)

    BTW your pie apples look really soft and juicy. Are they freshly chopped or cooked? My apples don't look anything like that when I chop them up. Definitely no juice/liquid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally use canned pie apples or cook them first :-)

      Delete